View Thread

Webinar - Studying Organizations' Portrayals in Films

• 1.  Webinar - Studying Organizations' Portrayals in Films

Posted 12-04-2023 23:50

Studying Organizations' Portrayals in Films

Speaker: Dr Carine Farias (IÉSEG)

I

Time: Thursday, 7th of December, 8 am (Eastern) / 2 pm (Paris) / 6.30 pm (Delhi). This webinar is scheduled for 90 minutes (including Q&A).

Registration: Please register here for a personalized Zoom link and a reminder.

I

Pop culture films play a great role in shaping understandings of organizations, professions, and organizational life, and sometimes impact how individuals behave within organizations. Conducting a rigorous analysis of such audio-visual materials is challenging. In this webinar, we will discuss three aspects of film analysis – multimodality, sensory experiences, and reflexivity – that require specific analytical explorations and engagement, and we will consider ways to deal with these challenges in practice.

Suggested reading:

Farias, C., Seremani, T., & Fernández, P. D. (2021). Popular Culture, Moral Narratives and Organizational Portrayals: A Multimodal Reflexive Analysis of a Reality Television Show. Journal of Business Ethics, 171(2), 211–226.

Shao, K., & Janssens, M. (2022). Who is the Responsible Corporation? A multimodal analysis of power in CSR videos of multinational companies. Organization Studies, 43(8), 1197–1221.

Toraldo, M. L., Islam, G., & Mangia, G. (2018). Modes of Knowing: Video Research and the Problem of Elusive Knowledges. Organizational Research Methods, 21(2), 438–465.

I

About the speaker

Carine Farias is an Associate Professor in entrepreneurship and business ethics at IESEG School of Management and a member of IESEG's Center for Organizational Responsibility (ICOR). Her research aims at uncovering the co-construction of sociocultural and moral values and practices involved in organizing processes, and embedded in pop culture representations of organizational life. She is an editorial board member of the Journal of Business Ethics.

For queries, please contact Ibrat Djabbarov i.djabbarov@cranfield.ac.uk.

------------------------------
    Ibrat Djabbarov, PhD
    ------------------------------